Monday, October 18, 2010

EXCUSE ME!!!

My rather sadistic sociology instructor has assigned us an ethnomethodology project.

Here is his explanation:
An ethnomethodology is any activity that disrupts the normal flow of life.  For example, when we pretend we do not know our roommates, we confuse their normal patterns and thus disrupt society.  It is our assignment and task to disrupt society and observe how others handle the situation.

After much advice and internal strife, I finally decided what I will do. I am going to go into different stores at the mall and talk VERY LOUDLY to employees. I’ll ask them legitimate questions such as, “Do you sell gift cards” but in an abnormally loud voice. My hypothesis is that the employees in stores geared toward young people will be less fazed by my bad behavior than those at stores more for mature adults. These are the stores I’m planning to experiment at so far, I’m open to suggestions:
Hot Topic
Gap
Zales
Gamestop
Aeropostale
Children’s Place
J.C. Penney
Western Wear

1 comment:

  1. Ohh! Sounds fun!
    I'd love to see how they react at Zales. Smoynty moynty diamond place that it is.

    Beka D.

    ReplyDelete